Heart Healthy Tips
- Learn your health history. Know the risks of heart problems and talk to your family and doctor about possible hereditary heart conditions.
- Take medicines as directed. If you take medicine to treat high blood pressure or diabetes, follow your doctor’s instructions.
- Eat a healthy diet. Make healthy food choices including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and foods with low salt content.
- Rethink your drink. Substitute water for sugary drinks to reduce calories and only drink alcohol in moderation.
- Move more, sit less. Get at least 20 minutes of moderate physical activity every day.
Hillcrest Home Care can help with heart complications related to COVID-19
Monitor Vitals: During every visit, client vitals are assessed at rest and while active. Telehealth units are available for daily monitoring.
Physical Activity: Clients are encouraged to exercise to decrease the risk of venous thromboembolism (VTE). Performing aerobic and body weight resistance training may also help prevent function loss and benefit the immune system.
Medication: Clients post-COVID may continue on extended prophylaxis to prevent VTE for up to three months post-diagnosis.
Screen: Clients are regularly screened for negative cardiovascular effects from social isolation and social distancing.
Educate: Clients are educated on proper hydration, mobility and bed rest for the prevention of and new signs of VTE.
For more heart-healthy tips or to see how Hillcrest Home Care can help, call (402) 682-4808.